Gladstone Repeats In Top 10 Best Places to Work In Academia
Fifth Consecutive Year at the Top in The Scientist's Survey of US Institutions
SAN FRANCISCO, CA—October 28, 2009—For the fifth year in a row, The J. David Gladstone Institutes has placed among the top 10 among the Best Places to Work in Academia. According to the annual survey by The Scientist magazine, Gladstone ranked 6th in 2009 and is one of only 3 organizations that were in the top 10 in 2008.
“Each year the competition becomes more and more intense,” said Gladstone President Robert W. Mahley, MD, PhD. “We're proud to be in among notable peers like Princeton, Emory, and other great institutions.”
The Gladstone Institutes, located at San Francisco's Mission Bay biotech hub, has become one of the region's top independent biomedical research institutes, focusing on cardiovascular disease, HIV and other immunological diseases, and Alzheimer's disease and related neurological afflictions. In addition to collaborations with universities, Gladstone scientists also have the opportunity to partner with industry through the Gladstone Center for Translational Research.
“We work with some of the best and the brightest in their fields, which allows Gladstone investigators and postdoctoral trainees to expand their experience beyond basic research to translational medicine,” said Mahley. “We are fortunate to offer the best of both worlds, independence and access to our scientific staff.”
Overall, respondents focused on collaboration, team building, and unique funding opportunities as important factors in the work environment. Gladstone ranked high in infrastructure and environment and management and policies.
“Our goal is to create an environment for scientific excellence,” Mahley added. “We have achieved that goal for more than 30 years. It's nice to be recognized.”
Top 15 US Academic Institutions:
- Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
- University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK
- Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- J. David Gladstone Institutes, San Francisco, CA
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN
- Institutes for Systems Biology, Seattle, WA
- The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Ardmore, OK
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, NY
- Trudeau Institute, Saranac Lake, NY
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA
- Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
About the Gladstone Institutes
The J. David Gladstone Institutes, an independent, non-profit biomedical research organization affiliated with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), is dedicated to the health and welfare of humankind through research into the causes and prevention of some of the world's most devastating diseases. Gladstone is comprised of the Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology and the Gladstone Institute of Neurological Disease. More information can be found atwww.gladstone.ucsf.edu.
# # #